On 30 and 31 January inst., IDOM together with an international team of experts led by the director of the US-based organization Disability Rights International (DRI) Eric Rosenthal conducted a few monitoring visits to the institutions subordinated to the Ministry of Health and Ministry of Social Protection, as follows:
- Codru Clinical Psychiatric Hospital;
- Center for Placement and Rehabilitation of Young Children;
- Boarding House for Children with Mental Disabilities (boys) of Orhei;
- Social House of Bădiceni, district of Soroca;
- Children’s Temporary Placement and Rehabilitation Center of Bălţi.
After the monitoring visits, the US experts will prepare a country report to show the (non)-effectiveness of the system for the social protection of persons with mental disabilities, especially of children placed in socio-medical institutions. The conclusions and recommendations formulated by the experts will help identify practical solutions in order to strengthen the national system for the social protection of persons with disabilities held in residential and medical institutions.
DRI is a nongovernmental organization, set up in 1993, having its premises in Washington DC that aims to prevent discrimination and abuse faced by the persons with mental disabilities, providing support to governments with developing policy papers in the respective areas.